FLOW

flow - (n) the mental state of operation in which the person is fully immersed in what he or she is doing, characterized by a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity. ~Daniel Pink


I just finished reading The Adventures of Johnny Bunko: The Last Career Guide You'll Ever Need by Daniel H. Pink. Without revealing too much of the book, I'll say Pink hit the nail on the head with the 6 key lessons of a successful career. A quick read (literally only took about 20 minutes) bearing the style of a comic book, the author uses the experience of Johnny Bunko to impress upon the readers some career pearls that many of us know - yet find so hard to actually incorporate in our own lives due to day to day reality. How many of us would love to simply do what we felt we were born to do, without the pressures of making money, or paying dreadful bills - where dey do that at??? I mean, I chat with comcast and sprint on a monthly basis about why they just won't let me live ---like give me this account and let's forget the formalities of paying bills and fees, it would just be so much easier! More often than not, many of my friends are still just trying to come up so making the leap to following a passion is way off. After reading the book, I am even more certain on what I knew before - finding your flow isn't easy but it's certainly not impossible; and I think everyone should!

Many of us lose sight of finding our flow, while in the midst of the daily grind. I think that comes with the territory of taking on and managing responsibility. I think the key is finding balance on how to do what you have to do to be able to do what you want to do. Many of you know, a major focus of this blog and things to come as a result of this venture is promoting leadership and developing new leaders - particularly young ladies. I hope this post promotes thought on trying to find that balance and look out for a few features on a couple of folks I know that are doing a good job with the balancing act.

Sooo, check out the book...it's cool, it's brief and there is one rule that I don't entirely agree with - anyone who knows me probably knows which one it is!! Tee hee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment